Sunday, February 14, 2010

hilarity ensued.

Wow. This blog is going to be one of those blogs that i’m sure retrospect and comment silence will tell me was best left in my head. But bugger it, I got nothing else.

Today i came across a youtube clip that burnt into my psyche over 10 years ago (seriously – youtube and wikipedia?! Are you single? Cos you got it going ON). A music clip to a song that I caught a few times on early morning Rage, and like Tenacious D’s classic Tribute, would have me grinning stupidly for its entirety. I’d never been able to remember the song’s name or indeed the artist. For the past ten years I would intermittently ask people if they had heard of the song Theopolis Disco, you know, the one with the guys in the character suits, competing on the swings (weyhey! C’MON! Beat that!) and dune jumping...but to no avail. Had I been cool enough to listen to more triple J in those days, it would have been a no brainer : Sonic Animation’s classic ‘Theophilus Thistler’

Now, i realise most of you ignore the clips i post and this one IS a slow burner and very budget - BUT if you don’t get to the 2:30 mark and not think something to the effect of ‘holy crap those guys are having the time of their LIVES they are GENIUSES’ then perhaps this blog and my mind is not worth your time.



And to be a bit philosophical about why I share this with you, it’s in no small part because it took me back to those fun times- to being young, free, totally inspired and running amok. I’m not too sure where that all went, or why such times seem so far away. I miss them so much. How did I go from that to this in 5 years? I feel closer to 40 than 30. Sitting here in my uniform of trackies and snot-covered top, thumbing through cooking books after finishing all my chores with a cup of tea, waiting patiently for my nemesis hubby to return from golf. It’s been over 2 months since I have had even an hour away from the children and each day i tread water, completing the same menial tasks on auto-pilot, too exhausted to have a conversation when one is on offer when the kids are finally in bed. Instead choosing bad reality TV or pathetic celebrity blogs to pass the time. Woe is me. : )  Grass is always greener, hey? ......and i obviously wouldn’t change things for the world of course. I suppose it’s my penance for having 2 ridiculously cute kids.



I can’t tell you all how much i am looking forward to coming to Oz in a few weeks. I need the break, i need the human contact. So watch out Adelaide!!! My mind has severely deteriorated from the weight of the mundane and I cannot be held responsible for my actions.

i have already hired the suit.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I sincerely hope that by hiring a "suit", you mean a bear suit. That'd probably pull you out of the mundane and into the awesome, pretty snappy-like.

Anonymous said...

ah... that clip made me so happy... looking forward to seeing you too!!!

Verity Slee said...

Yessss!!!!! This is me- looking at a blog on my iPhone... See I love you lots. I can't wait to seeypu feather bell and of course I will do my very best to make u realise that being free, single and running amok leaves You with hangovers that hurt like hell and rot your brain! I love you and your delicious off spring xxxx

Verity Slee said...

you should have been at our house warming party- there was a giant... as in massive elmo at my party... no-one even knew who it was! He was so big... so fluffy... so red and elmo like... too funny