Sunday, February 07, 2010

Consider yourself informed.

Apologies for the silence on here (and that beautiful blog o boys) but i’ve been a bit sick. For almost a month. The flu hit me before Christmas, and one month on, I’m still yet to get ownership of my nasal passages, throat and ability to sleep without being interrupted by a phelm-spluttering cough just as I drift off. It’s almost disappeared a few times, but then flared up again, finding me stuck endlessly in a state of being sick, run-down and demotivated. It’s a miracle that I even posted all that stuff from Devon (of which there is more to come – can you believe it!? Damn you amazing camera and the photos you make me take). Add to this concoction 2 little boys who have inherited and suffered from the same cold. Fevers for Fred and poor Rocco is unable to hhhuuuurgh the phlem out of his throat and ends up vomiting. Sometimes four or five times a night. I don’t even own that many sheets and giving hairwashes as midnight ain’t really helping my sleep/run-down-ed-ness.


So what’s new? Let me dot-point it for you..

• Flights are booked for a short trip to Oz (23 Feb to 9 March) during which I will be guest-starring at Eleanor’s wedding. A great, great source of joy for me, I simply cannot wait. She is just the most sensational person who I love with all my heart and I cannot wait to share this amazing day with her. However I rather foolishly gave my dress measurements pre-goose fat season and have irrationally convinced myself that my beloved muffin has risen and therefore constrained myself this past week to all that is low GI (WHO approved diet-lifestyle of choice, so no hunger involved just abstinence from processed foods and toblerone). Ordinarily I’d be chipper with my current bod, but turning up to a dress fitting one week before D-Day with more than you promised is something of a cardinal sin.

• I’ve also been gifted a speaking role on the above day which is an absolute honour and - as those of you who know me well would know –not something I ordinarily be too concerned about. But three years of intensive mummy-brain and the realisation that 90% of those watching me have no idea who I am, has made me a bit nervous. All i can think of is silly poems all of which are too un-PC to post even here (but make me giggle hilariously).

• I know i’ve put this up on my teeny-blog-twitter thing, but if you haven’t already, you really should check out http://twitter.com/shitmydadsays its the bomb.

• Tonight i cooked mez’s turkey leg soup. Minus the turkey leg. Unable to source any in central London (more to do with the ambivalence of the man I sent to source it than London itself I am sure) we substituted chicken. I then proceeded to defrost the goose stock instead of the chicken stock. The bastardise results however do not disappoint – not only will we be eating this amazing goodness all week but I suspect regularly in the future (much like her asian coleslaw thing – which I make almost every week). Oh Mez, when are we gonna make that cookbook: you with all the flair and inspiration, me with the anal suggestions to perhaps be a bit more specific in your measurements of veggies and include all the ingredients in a list at the top, lest someone realise at the very last moment they don’t have coriander. I kid, I kid. Of course I didn’t forget the coriander. The first rule of recipe making is to read the whole thing through carefully first. Lest coriander or the need for a 7 inch soufflé dish trip you up at the final hurdle.

• The past week has seen both boys have their first official haircut – something many have suggested is long overdue. And after my previous efforts were labelled ‘butchering’ Dave was given sole responsibility as to haircut stylings. Needless to say... well... there does not appear to be much cutting of hair that took place. Length remains virtually the same, with fringes mildly shortened and Rocco’s bulk removed. Cute as always, but i’m dismayed by the fact that my nagging will resume in the blink of an eye as their thunderous locks will be replenished almost overnight.

• Toilet training. Full steam ahead. These past few days has seen us putting Fred on his Thomas potty every 15 minutes with the promise of fire trucks and gingerbread men. A few accidents here and there and a few successes. It is an exhausting addition to our daily life, but seems to be going well and Fred will no doubt master this skill with his typical aplomb.



And on a final note, may I say how nicely things are going for our little family. After an up and down 2009, 2010 seems to be promising some great things. We have had a great week, and I find myself prouder and more excited about the future than I have in a long time. Full steam ahead!!

3 comments:

nat said...

Just brilliant, Heather.
I enjoy nothing but an entire blog post with nothing but positive, positive, positive, for the Ligertwoods, and this is definitely one of them. Including the part about the boys hair being just the same as it was pre-Dave haircut :)
I truly cannot wait for mid-April, for one last kiss from those delicious kids of yours. Will be the best.
-Buff

Alex and Alex Aranchikov said...

Agree with Buff - lovin the positive summation of all things to come.

You'll be FAB at Eleanor's wedding....speak from the heart is my advice - when you are not close frieds with lots of the people in the room, too many "in jokes"/stories that nearly no one gets can be tough, but honesty & sincerity with a few laughs is ideal.

Look fwd to haircut pics! And bummer we won't be able to catch up in Honngkers, but hopefully lots of mid-year hangout time back in Radelaideville xoxox

PS, BTW - wasn't it YOU who told me to remove MY word verification tool for want of it being "annoying"?!?!

Mezzle said...

Heather, love this post - so happy for you. A tad shmoopy for myself, knowing that you're going to be there for Smelly's big day and I can't get time off or enough money together. Boo! Please give her a massive smooch from me.

So ... Amsterdam eh?