Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Recent Misjudgment

Whilst there is not need to beat myself up over the following, I feel it would be good for me to sheepishly address a misconception I held prior to becoming a mother.

This misconception can be summed up in the term ‘spare time’ For some reason I imagined myself moving into a lovely world of sleeping babies with ample time to pour over cookbooks, maintain two blogs and hey – read all the Booker Prize winners in the course of the next year. Needless to say, none of these are happening with any ease and we’re pretty lucky if dinner is anything other than meat and three veg, if I make a blog entry more than once a week and if I ever read a book again. As Edwina once said – it’s a pretty good day when you manage to get even a load of washing on. But, to be fair, things seem to be on the up a little bit with regards to this. As Fred is getting a little bit older, he is becomgn increasing able to amuse himself. We are now able to put him in a bouncer or on his playstation for 20 minutes without him screaming at the injustice of not being held. Similarly, we have begun to employ some nighttime tactics which have led to him settling himself a number of times (as opposed to being rocked/patted/held to sleep) and enabled us to get something of our evenings back. So I’ve found myself able to cook from a cookbook about every second day this past week, and have managed to get a few (rather impressive) blog posts in. And after almost 2 months of not picking up any book other than a baby manual, I’ve started (and almost demolished) a novel. I randomly bought James Frey’s Million Little Pieces when out shopping on Tottenham Court Rd the other day, pessimistically certain that I would probably not read it for years, and started to flick through it on the bus home. And thank heavens its a page turner otherwise I still might be under the impression that having a baby and reading books is impossible. Whilst I still believe that ticking off the booker prize winners by the end of 200 is slightly beyond my abilities and somewhat misguided goal to make myself, the intention is still there, sans a timeframe.

More misconceptions to be addressed in the near future…..

No comments: