Wednesday, January 24, 2007

White Winter

Well, things seem to be on the up in my world. After a pretty exhausting and bewildering first few weeks with little Fred, we seem to be getting a handle on it all. Whilst the sleeping still isnt exactly what we want (we cant seem to get him to go to bed before 10.30 in hte evening) everythign else is falling into place. I am much more active - I feel much better and am able to get out more nad more - last week i managed a 4 hour shopping stint on Oxford st!! The breastfeeding has stopped hurting and each day I get to enjoy Fred becoming a little bit more Fred-like. He kicked a ball yesterday for the first time. Sure, we placed it in front of his feet and he did it unwittingly, but we're not too bothered. Another milestone it is!!

Plus he is smiling more and more (mostly at his favourite toys) and spends hours each day practicing using his voice. Love, lovely, lovely.


After an incredibly mild winter over here, last nigth felt Fre-e-e-ezing. When I had to get up in the night for Fred I found myself literally diving back under the covers for warmth. At one point I even had to take the little man into bed with me so we could cuddle in warmth. And so I could kiss his little warm head as he nuzzled in.... needless to say, that was so delightful, I didn't end up putting him back in his cot.... not a great habit to get into, but such a beautiful way to spend a cold night. Plus with Dave continuing to sleep (mostly) in the bell tower, the bed is awfully big for just me.


Anyway, the upshot of this was that when we woke up this morning it is has snowed!! Yay - Finally!!!! Last year we had snow just after christmas but is seems to have taken a lot longer for the cold t okick in this year (in fact it has been positively lovely up until now). So I've put up hte heating and snuggled up the little man in his rug and placed him near the warmth. He's sitting there sucking on his dummy, giving bigger and bigger blinks as he puts himself to sleep. I'm going to use this time to make myself a coffee (decaf of course.... breastfeeding basically means im living the life of absitnece I did when pregnant) and put some washing on. And perhaps upload a few more photos onto the Fred site if he doesn't wake up and start commanding my time....


Below is the view from our apartment....


(apologies to the canadian readers who must be like 'Yeah, it's snow... AND?' I'm still and aussie girl and it only snowed a couple of times last year so it's still a little bit exciting.)



2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm glad to hear that things are smoothing out for you, dear. Now that it's cold though, you can start dressing Fred in those cute little Canadian booties his Auntie Buffy sent him! I can't wait to see those pics!!

Anonymous said...

snow snow snow....gosh I love the snow.....a week in Austria and now this...snowed whilst waiting for my train today...lovely.. ;-) Lisa