Friday, April 18, 2008

because thats the way i roll

A few months ago (dear god! are we almost in May already?!?) me and two of my canadians, Graeme and Buffy, went to see David Mamet's 'Speed-The-Plow' at the Old Vic near Waterloo Station. This is the theatre for which Kevin Spacey is the Director and this particular play starred Keyser himself and a personal fav of mine - Jeff Goldblum. It was awesome, they were awesome - Conclusion: theatre is awesome.

There is a theory which says that people start to look like their pets, a theory which could be applied to me and Dave (Dave being the animal of course. Think of him as a little Jack Russell). Although I like to think of myself as someone who enjoys an evening watching the stage, I must admit that the last few times I have been in that situation*, I have found myself checking my watch towards the end of the first act or searching the program for a finishing time at intermission. Not for lack of actually enjoying what I was watching, but rather because my attention span is increasingly Dave-a-sized, meaning that it's not too far off that of a rather excited puppy. So it was refreshing to see such a sharply-written play, starring such fabulous actors.. which lasted a blinding hour. Perfect!!

(*not to be interpreted as more than three times in the past three years in London)

We went as a surprise for Buffy's 22nd Birthday, and it delighted Graeme and I, NO END, to pretend to her that we were going to see Alien vs Predator: Requiem. To the point where the the hours of analysis as to whether it would be a triumphant Alien or Predator have taken a deep-seated hold of my imagination, and I find myself embarrassingly keen to watch the movie. So with Dave away in India this weekend, I think a post in the next week detailing a few epic Predator battles is on the cards (I can feel the traffic on this site increasing 10 fold in anticipation).

Anyhoo, here's a post-show photo of Graeme and I with the Speed-The-Plow Brochure at The Stage Door pub behind the theatre (source: Beth Conacher). Although a decidedly hideous photo of myself, I cant help but love it due to the subtle but hilarious manner in which I am flaring my nostrils. In fact the series of photos taken from this night were pure comedy gold and involved such classics as coins in eyes, mock punches and homey-g poses. Those privileged friends of Buffy can see them on her facebook.

3 comments:

Beth said...

speed-the-PLOW!!!
BANG!!!

p.j.r said...

Graeme looks 16 in this photo! ??

Geordy and Pete said...

now preggers photos.
I am stressed so I need amusing anidotes from you and freddy.
x