Sunday, April 22, 2007

Back in London

Well I’m back in London now and I’ve composed this blog entry numerous times in my head over these past few days, with each version dependant on my mood. For example, at about hour 22 of my travel back to London, as I stood in the aisle of a packed economy class, with my hair in every direction, my clothes subtly soaked in sweat, and as I desperately rocked Fred back and forward trying to get him to sleep – SLEEP!! OH DEAR GOD CHILD! SLEEEEP! - I composed a rather vicious and bitter email which was almost wholly about Dave not coming to the airport to pick us up as it was too ‘complicated’ (although it’s not too complicated to get himself to the driving range twice in the week he has been back). I then composed a similar blog in my head upon my return to our house where I discovered the clothes washing I did a month ago still out, not an ounce of food in the house and the showerhead so full of limescale that only three of the sprinkler holes were capable of letting water through them (interpretation: many easily solved problems awaiting my return. Thankfully Dave had found the time to polish his golf shoes). But alas, my scathing words were forever kicked to the side when he handed my second birthday present (after the gift-that-keeps-giving – ‘THE knife sharpener’) of a ga-zillion gigabited iPod. Yes, I CAN be bought. So any of you out there wanting a few words written about you on this popular blog of mine need only send a cash donation.

Anyway, we are back now. I have recovered from the hardest flight of my life, have unpacked and done all the washing and filled the pantry with yummy foods. Fred’s abilities and company continues to accelerate and each day something small, but amazing happens. I am aware that I did not write anything for his 4 month old blog (seeing as I was too busy celebrating my 312th month) and can assure you that a mega 5 month old blog is on the cards. As is all the photos and stories of my trip. Although photos may have to wait as I seem to have forgotten on of the CDs of photos I took and therefore need to have it sent to me.

It feels very normal to be back here and I’ve realize that this must be because London now feels like home. Of course Adelaide does and always will, but now London has a special place in my heart. On Friday Fred and I walked to the Borough market to get the ingredients to a dinner I cooked last night for the Jamiesons (roast rump of Lamb on a herb cous cous with a spiced aubergine puree,) and I experienced the joy and comfort you get when you return to doing something old and familiar. Sitting and having a coffee and Monmouth, smugly watching the world shop by in their bugaboos laden with organic pates and miniature fair trade figs… it felt good.

We are slowly getting over our jet lag and Fred is almost back to normal sleep patterns. He’s going to bed around 6 or 7 pm (getting up for a feed around 3) and then waking up at 6am. I’m hoping to push that wake up time to 8am as it was before, but to be honest I’m not sure whether I can seeing as the sun is coming up pretty damn early at the moment. To be honest I’ve not really had too much time to reflect on how I feel about leaving Adelaide as soon as I said my teary goodbyes at the airport I was thrown straight into 24 hours of trying to keep Fred quiet (and avoid the scorn of my fellow travelers) and then getting back on our feet here. The closest I came to shedding a tear since then was when I opened the most amazing and enormous package sent by Georgia and Pete that was awaiting my return (THANK YOU). But alas – I couldn’t even do it then as the sugar from all the fantales, minties, fruit chocs and twisties had me running circles around the room yipping with delight.

Anyhow – I hope to get a bit more up here in the near future and Fred has told me he is keen to put some photos on his blog. This week I’m planning on doing a bit of shopping for some stuff Fred needs and next weekend we are going to give Fred a go on solids. In theory.

2 comments:

Me said...

hurrah, the heatherette is back!!!! :-) Lisa

Geordy and Pete said...

sounds lovely.

wish we were there with you now.

x