Friday, July 07, 2006

One Year On...

Just a short entry to note the one-year anniversary of the London Bombs. It seems odd to think that this event took place a year ago, because in many ways, it does not seem diminished by the passing of this time. But as Dave is trying to convince me, a year is a very short space of time indeed. They did a nation-wide two minute silence at noon, along with various services at the scenes of the crime.

I re-read what I wrote about the event last year on this blog (in the July 05 archives or click here). It's pretty self-indulgent i think. But then, it was unapologet ically the story of my day, what I saw, and shied away from musing too much about the ramifications, what it meant to other people.

I still find it quite upsetting to think about, especially with my current heightened emotional capacity. Today's Metro (the free newspaper you grab before getting on the tube) was full of individual stories, today’s news websites filled with pictures of mourning. I still find myself drawn to reading stories by survivors, stories from bereaved families… it is all so moving.

Anyway. I’m not too sure what im trying to do with this post – this event is quite small compared to the greater atrocities happening every day, in less prominent locations than London. But I guess you are naturally more shocked by those that happen close to the bubble you live in. So I’m just trying to say, that in the face of reading and seeing so much about these crimes again, I just wanted to note how much I feel for the families of the 52 dead and for the hundred of people disabled.

I think the world is a pretty scary place to live in right now, and I feel that the emotions that divide us, those that encourage people to hurt one another, are only becoming more pronounced and more radical. I’ve tried to stay away from too much political comment on this blog due to the fact that I’m pretty disillusioned by how things have gone in Australia - and in the greater western world - over the past few years. And I’ve been afraid that if I started to speak of staggering list of poor choices the Australian Liberal Party and their allied governments have made… well…. that I would never stop. This blog would become a very angry and depressing place to visit. But I in light of where we are, 1 year on from these crimes, 5 years on from that cataclysmic event on US soil, it is impossible to not see that the paths that has been taken by our governments, by our media are a combination of small steps forward and giant leaps back

And I’m not saying I know what the solutions are – no doubt it is complicated beyond my comprehension. But I just wish that people took a little bit more interest, that people were a little bit more indignant, that people believed in the importance of their vote when going to poll. There is very little difference in the economic impact that the differing major political parties can have, in my belief. SO when it comes to having my say in where the world is heading, I absolutely believe that we need to move towards a government that has agenda which promotes moral choices and supports those who need it most.

Cos the fat are fat enough.
And David Hicks is still sitting in an inhumane prison that contravenes the Geneva Convention as Alexander Downer stuffs himself with another Danish.
And now Joe Bloggs, loyal employee of 23 years can be fired, without comeback, because he takes a backseat at work, to look after his 8 year old daughter who has been diagnosed leukaemia.

Oh. My. God.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for this to start.

The next election is not far off, I’m hoping that things will change. But then - I thought that perhaps having taken us to a fictitious war that broke international law (and the massive list of lies and poor choices) would have had some impact last time… So I’m not confident. ….

So perhaps redneck Australia needs to make baby steps. Having a majority over the house and the senate is a ludicrous idea, so I'm going to pin my hopes on this victory.

Apologies for the rant. I’ve worked myself up now. But after a year of peaches and cream I’m allowed my two cents. Today demands it.

1 comment:

Me said...

I read your July 2005 London bombings blog and was much impressed by what you wrote, it kinda personalised it for me, you know degrees of seperation and all that - so do I get 40 points!!! :-)