Thursday, June 01, 2006

Some rather small - but not insignificant -news

Well a number of you may know, and some may not, but it's one of those things that are a little bit exciting, but when you go to actually tell people - you feel like a bit of a dick.

There is no easy or cool way to do it really, so you might as well get serious and formal withit.

I am baking a bun in my oven.

Damn. Not serious.

I have 8 centimetres of a Dather (Dave + Heather) being growing in my womb.

Yes: Pregnant.

Facts: 14 weeks (i think down), Due December 1, Gender unknown until D-Day, birth will be performed over here in London. Was not planned for, but it is a as welcome and happy surprise as it would be if we had planned it to minute detail.

In the last week I have developed this bit of belly that sticks out at a weird angle and my thighs and bum have 'thickened' and I am going to use and abuse the advantage of having control over this website, by only ever posting skinny pictures of myself.
All is well. Been pretty sick for the past month or so, but that should be clearing up soon. I am constantly tired and walking up a small flight of stairs has me huffing and puffing. This does not mean that I'm unfit, but rather that my body is working harder than it ever has before in creating the limbs, organs and toenails of another living creature. It is quite incredible what is happening inside of me.

We went to our first scan last week and got to see the picture of little Dather. It was surprisingly moving and the first time since we found out - it actually seemed ‘real’.

Its quite a nerve-racking telling people that this is a situation which you find yourself in. The sentence ‘Im pregnant’ is somewhat embarrassing to utter.

Plus it is quite nerve-racking waiting for the response. I know it shouldn’t matter what people think, and I wish I was a stronger person who lived by that ethos. But due to my age and people’s perception of me being ‘career oriented’ - there is a tendency to assume that this is an accident that we never spoke about eventuating (wrong: it was a top 5 topic of ours, but the plan was for it to happen a year down the track). Plus people can’t help but put themselves in my shoes and decide what is wrong and what is right based on a limited view of the real circumstances.

Hmmm. I’m not too sure why I wrote that above as it gives the impression that people have been negative – and this is not the case at all. On the whole people have been really positive with a few being ridiculously happy. I guess that there are a few people that the reaction has been less than impressive and with my pessimistic tendencies I will dwell on these more than I think about the joy that I am giving Kelly by joining the ‘mothers group’. And to be fair – chances are that I have too high expectations and am being selfish by not realising that there are other, more important things taking their focus elsewhere (who knows? I too have a ‘limited view of the real circumstances’).

However on the whole, friends are being smashingly lovely (and all suggesting their own names as potential baby names) and the Anders family has kicked into a surprisingly high gear over the news with a number of the women commencing knitting. I believe that a few pairs of booties and a cardigan have already been created.

What else? Taking it pretty easy – no reading too much into it – just mostly trusting my body. The hospital looks fine (which was a worry with eh state of the NHS over here in the UK). My hormones are ridiculously all over the place and I have taken to growling at Dave (which sometimes is quite fnny, sometimes not).

Mostly I am looking forward to the fact that in 2 weeks from now, Olivia and I will be on a plane on our way to Paris and then a week later in sunny, glorious Greece….

xxxH

1 comment:

Geordy and Pete said...

hee hee- Up the Duffie!
Up the Duffie... 1 more time.. Up the DUFFIE!!!!
You rock Darlin. It's going to be the hansomest, most gorgeous baby- what with your features.
I wuv you
Geordy (and pete)
xoxoxo