Tuesday, November 03, 2009

cooking jamie

In light of Mez's awesome food posts, I've decided to do one of my own. Well, a lazy version of hers as it will not be helpful on any level, but rather only boastful pictures.

Whenever someone comes to my house and enters my kitchen, I experience and overwhelming need to explain the colossal amount of Jamie Oliver cookbooks. Indeed, I have ALL of them (besides the Ministry of Food one which is rubbish). And although my blog might at times suggest otherwise, I am NOT a Jamie Oliver fanatic. In fact, all of the cookbooks - besides Jamie's Italy - were given to me as gifts. It all began one day over Easter 2006 when the Jamiesons came for lunch. I was most unwell (but fine - it turns out I was suffering from a case of baby in belly) and had said to Dave that I could not face entertaining, particularly cooking (and perhaps a day of watching episode after episode of 24 would be a better idea?). So for the FIRST (and possibly last) time in history, Dave discovered the knife drawer and proceeded to make a rather cracking ragu (or bolognaise as you and I non-wankers would call it). The Jamiesons were rightly impressed. So much so that the next time we met to celebrate Dave's birthday, not realising the previous week's lunch was a one-off, they gifted him the entire Jamie catalogue. And thus began my collection.

But to be fair, although I try to portray myself as an unwitting Jamie supporter, I’m pretty bloody happy with my cookbook shelves (yes people – plural – there are 3!) and I find Jamie’s books continually inspiring and helpful (besides the first 2 – they are Meh). Buffy, well aware of my Jamie thing, and indeed a harbourer of adoration herself, gave me his most recent book last month. Fuck Yeah. And just in time for the beginning of his new TV series to boot! No Dave – I don’t care that Newcastle is on hte cusp of returning to the Premier League – Wednesday night is Jamie night!! I sit there with my book and watch him weave his magic. Bless you Jamie Oliver.


Roast Lamb to be followed by PEACH COBBLER (from Jamie's America)


The Man Himself....... What's that you ask? .....That small teapot? WELL.....


Yes. Impressive. It is like a child to me (also from Buffy. Wow. The rest of you better pick up your game)




I reckon that you enter a new rank of culinary goddess when you start cooking with vanilla beans. Essence? Pah.


the peaches are now covered in the awesome stuff in the pic above.


using a food processor in a recipe ups the difficulty level by one chef's hat. Fact.

Now the most embarrassing bit is that by the time Peach Cobbler was ready to go, I was so hungry, that taking a photo of it was the last thing I was thinking of doing. Eat! Eat! Eat!

Meal from Jamie's America, Take 2. The good ol Parmie. Whilst a South Aussie staple, it appears not to inspire such passion elsewhere. Unsuprisingly Dave is not a fan (a man of refinement) but I miss these a lot. When I saw this recipe in the book I vomited in my mouth a little.

... whats that? the cup? Well, I'm only human and she is SO beautiful....

Once again..... forgot to photograph finished product. Damn you Veal Seductress!

From hte archives (and possibly posted before?) Jamie's carrot cake. Best carrot cake ever. Though make sure you have hte right size tin otherwise cooking times are a bitch.

steak and guiness pie a la Jamie. Just add peas and Mash.




Sorry animal lovers. They be wee little quails. Like in Animalia. Not Jamie, but River Cafe.


this is a donna hay risotto which will i cook whenever a vegetarian comes around from here on in. Forever and ever. It is THAT good. So good I'm not going to tell you which one it is, lest you google it and claim it as your own. And yes, that is castello oozing all over it.


Issy's molten chocolate cake.

4 comments:

Beth said...

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Geordy and Pete said...

wow- you are amazing cook.

x

Anonymous said...

Nice one Heather.... you could have your own book one day!! I'll be round for dinner say Friday??
I WISH!!!! XX Nadsie

Alex and Alex Aranchikov said...

a truly inspiring post (including the industrial style kitch you've got going). Will be sure not to ever let husband-al see what other wives do.......my first EVER risotto the other day (smoked salmon, dill etc) elevated me domestic goddess status.

Please please please share YOUR risotto. I still have aborio rice in the cupboard and am getting the hang of the whole thing.

Great blog - as noted on G's blog, crazy work has been keeping me from more important things - like the land of blog. But with xmas on the horizon, I see an imminant return

Keep up the good work

xo