Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Demise of the Comment

It is with great sadness that I note the demise of the comment. Are our blogs becoming less popular, or are people simply more apathetic towards them as time goes on? Besides the (loved and greatly appreciated) usual suspects diligently putting words to every second or third post (or if you are Geordy/Pete it's pretty much every post) it is becoming increasingly hard to score yourself a comment in this little circle of blogs to the right. I mean, hell - you can even put the cutest footage known to man (baby smiles) - and still get a low return.

Perhaps only these people read our blogs? I don’t know. Well - actually - I KNOW that more than four people read this blog (as although they have never ever added a comment, I know my family trawls it for photos of Fred) - so how do you get these readers to translate into comments? Because besides running a competition (guess the baby fact game) or actually asking for a comment, I don’t really know how. I don’t know what the hell sort of entry is needed to strike the apathy out of you people.

And at the bottom of these ponderings, is the question - why is it even important? Well, believe it or not, it takes fair amount of time to run one of these things. Even more time to run two. And whilst it's a little bit pathetic to admit, comments are the one way of actually knowing that people are reading it and enjoying it and therefore it's to all for nothing. So im not asking for a flurry of comments at the end of this post - on the contrary, as this post is not exactly one which is particularly interesting - but rather consideration in the future to add one when it takes your fancy or if you have enjoyed an entry. It makes me feel love and it makes me more inclined to post regularly. (And while you are at it – if you read any of those blogs to the right, show them the love too). Think of it as donation to an art gallery, which costs a wee bit of time, not money.

NOW - TO HAPPIER TOPICS






  • It has come to my intention that the Scissor Sisters must have recently toured Australia. Because as I listened to my messages I received one from Nadise that caused my booty to start wiggling and shaking to the strains of that song I mentioned a few posts back. Last time I listen to my messages at a bus stop deep in the hood….

  • Inspired by the idea of seeing live music (as Nadsie has called me from Robbie Williams AND the Artic Monkey and the pool of drool took a week to drain away both times) I went and bought Dave and myself tickets to see Muse at Wembley Stadium. Hoorah. Fred will be 7 months old and ripe for a babysitter and as I won't be living in London forever, its time I started to take advantage of what it has to offer. The next plan is to get tickets to see Spamalot (the stage version of Monty Python's Holy Grail).
  • I dont think that I've put this on the blog yet, but Dave and I have booked Freds first visit to Australia from 19/3 to 18/4 and hope to see as many people as possible


(this photo is from a month back)

2 comments:

Geordy and Pete said...

nice one babe. you tell em.

we even put bottoms on ours and look what happened!

can't wait to you are here. NOt long now!!

x

ps- are you having funky stuff going down with new blogger?? I am having all sorts of trouble.

Olivia said...

Well, we really need to look and work out what you're doing wrong. How are you attracting people to your blog? Word of mouth? Its not going to work I tell you. At least Fred's got cuteness on his side.... Hell I even noticed that you've used a few of his photos to get people to your blog. (shame)
I'll put together a stragegy, do you have a budget? .... hummm no, well thats what I'm used to dealing with.
I can't believe you didnt come to me earlier. Christ, dont you know what I do for a living?