Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The antidote.

Well, I did actually write an entry during lunch today at work, but unfortunately did not finish it, and presumed I would do so later, before going home. This did not happen. And not wanting to leave my audience with nothing but photos for the past month, I thought I would write a quick entry now, and finish the other one tomorrow. Because I love you all like my children and I only want what is best for you. And what is obviously best for you is one of my world famous ‘im too slack to write full sentences so I will just do dot points’ entry.

- No doubt it has been keeping you awake at night pondering which book I have been reading after finally finishing the epic midnight’s children. And the answer is many books. Like Pete and Georgia, I find it very hard to walk by a bookstore/book sale without being drawn into it’s vortex for the better part of an hour. It is my weakness and I am an absolute sucker for those 3 for 2 deals, and the 2nd hand book stalls under Waterloo Bridge. So my book diet of late has been an attempt to rationalize a lot of recent purchases. Whilst none so far have been disappointing (I’m much to savvy a book buyer to get rubbish) there have been a few of note. I just finished Peter Carey’s ‘The True History of the Kelly Gang’ (and ticked off another Booker Prize Winner) and it has gone to the top of my list for books read this year. A lot less laborious than I have found some of his previous novels, it has real soul and a really original take on colonial Australia and the legend that is Ned Kelly.. Others to have been above average: Margaret Atwood’s ‘The Penelopiad’ (in keeping with my love of all things Atwood), Zadie Smith’s ‘On Beauty’ (themes from which I find myself pondering resonance in my day to day life) and Khaled Housseini’s ‘The Kite Runner’. I also read Paul Coelho’s ‘The Alchemist’ which so many people rave about and wanted to puke over its drippiness. Perhaps I have no soul but the sickly fable was an absolute trial to read. Good things come to those who wait, happiness is within, be true to your heart… blah, blah blah. *VOMIT* If I ever meet another person who says that the Alchemist is their favourite book, I will take that as a very clear warning to steer clear (And I will test a theory I have by asking whether they enjoyed ‘Mr Holland’s Opus’). I’ve just started Ali Smith’s The Accidental, and we will see how that goes.

- No doubt the only people who read through to the end of that dot point were Georgia and Pete and I am wondering whether they have been swallowed up during their move to Goolwa and will never return to the blogsphere. We shall see.

- I had a disturbing thing happen to me where I have recently noticed that the left-hand side of heel of my favourite right boot has pretty much worn through to the lining. Whilst the rest of the sole(s) remain in perfect condition. This one little section (1/4 of a shoe) has been destroyed and almost rendered the entire pair redundant. Which can only mean that I must walk like a circus freak and no-one has ever bothered to point it out. Bastard Friends.

- Dave and I went shopping together the other day (bit of a novelty, it is almost always just me. We went to get milk and a paper, but upon me deviating from the list and picking up a few rolls of toilet paper, Dave actually said ‘What’s that for?’ Mmmmm. Was too dumfounded to come up with an appropriate sarcastic remark.

- I am huge. I have the thighs of a thoroughbred.

- This time next week I will be within a month of having a child.

- Recently we purchase membership passes to the Tate Modern. I can’t believe that I am now the type of person who is a member of an Art Gallery.

- The hour long commute (each-way) to work has become a daily trial. Whilst work itself is easy enough, the mental thought of getting there and back brings a tear to my eye. In order to be able to actually do it, I have found that I must listen to the Prodigy out and randomly chant along. The phrase ‘Smack My Bitch Up’ always goes down well on the tube.

- The most insulting part of this epic journey is that at the end of it all I have to face a series of stairs that would frighten the greatest of gladiators. If this baby has not got it’s head nestled on my cervix by now, it never will

- Saw Little Miss Sunshine with mum and dad a few weeks back. Still have the giggles when I think about certain bits of it. Good stuff.

- Saw Webbie again on youtube.com at Australian Idol. New blond hair? OR was that just the lighting? Either way - fwoar. Male Al, looking stylin as always.

- Have decided that if people ask me in the future ‘Did you think it was going to be a boy or a girl’ I will answer ‘boy’. Even though I have absolutely no idea either way, the fact is that I am huge and this little baby is a real wriggler. I am talking movement for about 50% of my waking hours. And not nice little ‘awww’ moves… Kung fu.

- I have decided that the best Haagen Dazs is the caramel one ‘Dulche de leche’. Doesn’t sound like the most interesting, but as an authority on all things ice cream, I give you my solemn word. The only way I am able to stop eating that flavour is when the tub is empty. And even then I sometimes eat the packaging.

That will do it for now I think.

5 comments:

Beth said...

um...I liked "The Alchemist". I feel a bit cheap now. Sorry that you may have ever thought of me as a true friend. Feel free to send my package back. I have a cousin who's expecting soon...

Heather Anders said...

package, what what? I suspect that must be what i am in negotiations with parcelforce to deliver. How exciting!...

But unfortunately I will have to re-think our friendship.

Anonymous said...

Have you considered spinkling your Haagen Dazs ice cream with pickled gherkins and anchovies. It really is a taste sensation and I should know because I am an authority on all things strange.

Me said...

I read the book dot point - i am a severe book-a-holic and am desperate for a club to join as my little flat cannot take my epic book buys!!!! :-) just finished Sebastian Barry's A Long Long Way, was very good - I am attempting to begin Ulysses by James Joyce but its quite heavy and after A Long Long way I think I need to read something lighter...maybe the Devil wears Prada (was a good movie after all - all those beautiful clothes...hum sigh ;-)

Beth said...

Indeed, it just may be "the" package. I do hope you get it soon.