Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Bangalangalangalore

day two. i have upgraded from the tin shed and found an internet place in a pleasant department store. Air-condintioning inventor for president of the word!!

The numerous hours spent roaming the streets of Bangalore over the past two days have meant that I am now an old hand at crossing the road, avoiding dogshit and telling the flower children to bugger off (cruel but necessary to stop the tidal wave).

After getting lost and very disoriented for an hour or two yesterday i was grateful to have Dave home in the evening to go exploring together. We had dinner at this rooftop funky bar called 'Zero' atop a 10 storey building that overlooks Bangalore. We wandered the streets a bit, laughed a lot at the pure insanity of the place and bought me some highheels (!!)

We also managed to bookourselves into another Hotel which is one sixth of the price of where we are currently staying and has double the Indian Charm (ie. no air con, no proper shower, seperate beds and a bay windows that open onto a balcony that overlooks Bangalore's busiest road). We move in tonight. Not sure if this is a wise dea as the traffic will be waking us up very, very eary in the morning I suspect. Indians (like many other cultures) absolutely loooove their car horn. I'm pretty sure a car without one is considered unroadworthy. A toot on the horn can be interpreted as "Get out of my way!!" "I'm coming up behind you!!" "You fuckwit!" "Would you like a ride white lady?" and my favourite "Hello. I have a vehicle!" It had dave and I in stiches last night wen we caught a rickshaw home from the restaurant and even though the road was completely empty the driver woud periodcally beep just for the hell of it!

Hit the tailoring district of Commercal street today which was unreal. Thousands of shops packed together in a maze of narrow dusty streets, selling everything you could and couldn't imagine and hawkers yeling at you from the moment they spotted you 30metres away. So I had my frst foray into barganing today. With mixed results. Actualy suffering from post-purchase disonnance at the moment and pretty convinced that I have paid too much (though definatey not in aust terms) and that they were laughing at the sily white lady. And also not sure why the hell I bought what I bought. Have ordered two indian sets to be tailored for me (beautful fabric, georgeous patterns) but had the realisaton as I waked away from the store that I would probably never wear them (*georgia rubs her hands together*). Was going to get some silk scarves as well, but exhausted from the battle it was to communicate what it was i wanted at the tailoring store, and couldnt summon the energy to talk to anyone else.

So got in a rickshaw and made like a hockey player and got the puck out of there. Only to realise that the coupe of beautiful sequened handbags I had bought were left in the store. Unable to get the driver to turn around, I cut my losses and have started to hope that I can get them tomorrow when I collect my cothes from the tailor. And you better cross your fingers too mum cos one of those bags had your name on it. So i was feeling quite low and questioning everything I had just spent money on, why i was in Inda, and what the meaning of life was in genera (42). THANKFULLY I reaised that I should just buy the Robbie Wiams greatest hits cd, as that i would be guarenteed to make me (and eleanor when i send her a copy) happy. (shops se cds fro 10 dollars here!)

Bout to go and investigate getting a day trip to Mysore tomorrow or Thursday. Also need to get home and gather my stuff to move hotels. Im predicting a scene of me standing on the sidewalk of the busy road (no parking of course) screaming at people to not touch the luggage I am guarding as Dave and his driver carry it up the 700 fights of stairs to out new budget accommodation.

But then i am going to assult an indian curry and everythng will be brilliant. And if it sn't, the cd store is never too far away....

xxxx Heather

ps: cheers to nadsie for the comment. sure, it was mean - but its code for the fact she loves me.

Notes: it does you well to tell people you are bargaining with, that you are from austraia, that you love cricket and how s the inda/pakistan game going.

No comments: